Currently, chemical gas deposition is the main method for producing high-quality and reproducible epitaxial layers for commercial silicon carbide (SiC) power devices. Based on the experience of ETU «LETI» in the synthesis of monocrystalline SiC, an analysis of the current state of silicon carbide gas phase epitaxy (CVD) technology was carried out. It has been shown that modern CVD reactors allow to implement the growth processes of SiC epitaxial structures of high quality with the following parameters: substrates diameter up to 200 mm; thicknesses of epitaxial layers from 0.1 to 250 μm; layers of n - and p -types conductivity with ranges of doping levels 10-10 cm and 10-10 cm, respectively. At the same time, setting up the technology of the reproducible high-quality growth of epitaxial layers is an individual task for a specific type of reactor. It requires a detailed consideration of the technological factors presented in this paper, which at the end determine the achievable parameters of SiC-epitaxial products
silicon carbide (SiC), gas phase epitaxy (CVD), precursors, epitaxial layer, CVD process parameters, CVD reactor
Technological processes and routes
Afanasev A.V., Ilyin V.A., Luchinin V.V., Reshanov S.A. Analysis of the gas phase epitaxy of silicon carbide as a basic process for power electronics technology. Review. Proc. Univ. Electronics, 2020, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 483–496. DOI: 10.24151/1561-5405-2020-25-6-483-496
1. Luchinin V.V., Tairov Y.M. Russian silicon carbide. Izvestiya vuzov. Elektronika = Proceedings of uni-versities. Electronics, 2011, vol. 92 (6), pp. 3–26. (in Russian).
2. Luchinin V.V. Technologies of superiority. Silicon carbide. Scientific-technological status of LETI. Nano- I mikrosistemnaya tekhnika = Nano-and Microsystems technology, 2016, vol. 18 (5), pp. 259–271. (in Russian).
3. Tairov Y.M., Tsvetkov V.F. Investigation of growth processes of ingots of silicon carbide single crystals. J. Cryst. Growth, 1978, vol. 43 (2), pp. 209–212.
4. Lebedev A.O., Avrov D.D., Tairov Y.M., Luchinin V.V. Method for manufacturing of single crystalline SiC. Patent RU № 2633909. (in Russian).
5. Avrov D.D., Bykov Y.O., Gladky S.V., Lebedev A.O., Tairov Y.M. Method for manufacturing of single crystalline SiC. Patent RU № 2671349. (in Russian).
6. Luchinin V.V., Tairov Y.M. Russian semiconductor silicon carbide: a step towards parity. Sovremennaya elektronika = Modern Electronics, 200, vol. 7, pp. 12–15. (in Russian).
7. Luchinin V.V. Russian electronic components for extreme conditions: silicon carbide industry founded by ETU «LETI». Part I. Nanoindustriya = Nanoindustry, 2016, vol. 65 (3), pp. 78–89. (in Russian).
8. Luchinin V.V. Russian electronic components for extreme conditions: silicon carbide industry founded by ETU «LETI». Part II. Nanoindustriya = Nanoindustry, 2016, vol. 66 (4), pp. 40–50. (in Russian).
9. Afanasev A.V., Ilyin V.A., Petrov A.S. at el. Method for manufacturing of 3C-SiC/Si semiconductor sandwich structure and a membrane-type sensitive element using it. Patent RU № 2395867. (in Russian).
10. Ilyin V.A., Matuzov A.V., Kazak-Kazakevich A.Z., Petrov A.S. Method of epitaxial growth of cubic silicon carbide on silicon by CVD technology. Izvestiya vuzov. Materialy elektronnoy tekhniki = Proceedings of Higher Schools. Materials of Electronics Engineering, 2007, no. 3, pp. 22–26. (in Russian).
11. Ilyin V.A., Matuzov A.V., Petrov A.S. Investigation of the 3C-silicon carbide on silicon substrates heteroepitaxial structures growth processes. Izvestiya vuzov. Materialy elektronnoy tekhniki = Proceedings of Higher Schools. Materials of Electronics Engineering, 2008, no. 4, pp. 31–34.
12. Kimoto T., Cooper J.A. Fundamentals of silicon carbide technology: growth, characterization, devices and applications. Singapore, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2014. 400 p.
13. Afanasev A.V., Ilyin V.A., Luchinin V.V., Mikhaylov A.I. Vapor phase epitaxy as the key technology for power MOSFET-transistors based on silicon carbide. Nanoindustriya = Nanoindustry, 2018, vol. 86 (7-8), pp. 488–497. (in Russian).
14. Kalnin A.A., Luchinin V.V., Noibert F., Tairov Y.M. The regularity of the evolution of the crystal structure during the synthesis of substances with many structurally stable states. Zhurnal tekhnicheskoy fiziki = Technical Physics, 1984, vol. 54 (7), pp. 1388–1390. (in Russian).
15. Luchinin V.V., Tairov Y.M. Heteroepitaxial composition: rare polytype of silicon carbide 2H on an in-sulating substrate: aluminum nitride – sapphire. Pis’ma v Zhurnal tekhnicheskoy fiziki = Technical Physics Let-ters, 1984, vol.10 (14), pp. 873–875. (in Russian).
16. Matsunami H., Kimoto T. Step-controlled epitaxial growth of SiC: High quality homoepitaxy. Materi-als Science and Engineering, 1997, no. 20, pp.125–166.
17. Kong H.S., Glass J.T., Davis R.F. Chemical vapor deposition and characterization of 6H-SiC thin films on off-axis 6H-SiC substrates. Journal of Applied Physics, 1988, no. 64, pp. 2672–2679.
18. Kimoto T., Itoh A., Matsunami H., Sridhara S., Clemen L. L., Devaty R. P., Choyke W. J., Dalibor T., Peppermüller C., Pensl G. Nitrogen donors and deep levels in high-quality 4H-SiC epilayers grown by chemical vapor deposition. Applied Physics Letters, 1995, no. 67 (19), pp. 2833–2835.
19. Kimoto T. Bulk and epitaxial growth of silicon carbide. Progress in Chrystal Growth and Characteri-sation of Materials, 2016, vol. 62, pp. 329–351.
20. Larkin, D.J., Neudeck, P.G., Powell, J.A., Matus, L.G. Site-competition epitaxy for superior silicon carbide electronics. Applied Physics Letters, 1994, vol. 65, pp. 1659–1661.
21. Nishizawa S., Pons M. Growth and doping modeling of SiC-CVD in a horizontal hot-wall reactor. Chemical Vapor Deposition, 2006, vol. 12, pp. 516–522.
22. Avrov D.D., Bykov Y.O., Komlev A.E., Lebedev A.O., Tairov Y.M. Method for crucible preparation for silicon carbide single crystals growth. Patent EA № 033855. (in Russian).
23. Burk A. A. Development of multiwafer warm‐wall planetary VPE reactors for SiC device production. Chemical Vapor Deposition, 2006, vol. 12, pp. 465–473.
24. Tsuchida H., Kamata I., Ito M. et al. Advances in fast epitaxial growth of 4H-SiC and defect reduction. Materials Science Forum, 2016, vol. 858, pp. 119–124.