The SOI MOSFET have the worst conditions of the heat removal from the active region, which negatively manifests itself on the reliability and efficiency of microcircuits. Using the TCAD modeling the self-heating effect has been investigated in the structures of deeply submicron MOSFETs with different configurations of the buried oxide: traditional bulk MOSFET and SOI structures, SELBOX structure, Partial SOI structure, thin-BOX SOI structure, UTBB SOI structure and Quasi-SOI structure. It has been shown that for a number of new designs the maximum temperature value in the MOSFET structure is significantly reduced in comparison with Tmax of the standard SOI MOSFET structure, approaching the typical values for standard MOSFETs on bulk silicon.
1. Nayfach-Battilana J., Renau J. SOI, Interconnect, Package, and Mainboard Thermal Characterization. Proc. of the 14th ACM. IEEE International Symposium on Low power Elec-tronics and Design, 2009, pp. 327–330.
2. Narayanan M.R., Nashash H.A. Minimization of self-heating in SOI MOSFET devices with SELBOX structure. Proceedings of the 11th International Conference on Advanced Semi-conductor Devices & Microsystems, 2016, pp. 61–64.
3. Cheng J., Zhang B., Li Z. The total dose radiation hardened MOSFET with good high-temperature performance. IEEE, Proc. Of ICCCAS, 2007, pp. 1252–1255.
4. Trivedi V.P., Fossum J.G. Nanoscale FD/SOI CMOS: thick or thin BOX? IEEE Electron Device Letters, 2005, vol. 26, iss. 1, pp. 26–28.
5. Ghouli S.El., Scheer P., Minondo M., Juge A., Poiroux T., Sallese J.M., Lallement C. An-alog and RF modeling of FDSOI UTBB MOSFET using Leti-UTSOI model. In 23rd Interna-tional Conference on Mixed Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems (MIXDES), 2016, pp. 41–46.
6. Weikang Wu, Xia An, Taotao Que, Xing Zhang, Dongjun Shen, Gang Guo, Ru Huang. Investigation of a radiation-hardened quasi-SOI device: performance degradation induced by single ion irradiation. Semiconductor Science and Technology, 2016, vol. 31, no.10, 105009, 6 p.
7. Takahashi T., Matsuki T., Shinada T., Inoue Y., Uchida K. Comparison of self-heating ef-fect (SHE) in short-channel bulk and ultra-thin BOX SOI MOSFETs: Impacts of doped well, ambient temperature, and SOI/BOX thicknesses on SHE. Electron Devices Meeting (IEDM), 2013, pp. 7.4.1–7.4.4.